Unofficial Zwift Ride Tonight Fast group

Hope to see you tonight!

Fast group endurance ride. 2.7-3.0 watts/kg on the flats, 3.5-3.8 watts/kg on the climbs

Had a nice group of 4 tonight. Will look to setup another on the weekend.

Whoa !

This is beyond my capability to sustain.

I can hold 2.8-3.0 for about 20 mins at full gazā€¦with a few power punches at 4.0ā€¦but then Iā€™d be smacked. Like going with Group 1 to the end of Crowsfoot on a Thursday night.

But one day Christopherā€¦one day. I might just show upā€¦just to say I did.

A.

1 Like

@Francqlife Iā€™m just coming back from some back to back illnesses (watch me jinx that and end up with something else now!) but Iā€™m hoping to start running something between the rec rides and the fast rides in Zwift soon on a weekend. Probably in the 2.5 W/KG with sprints for those who want to go (so a bit lie a Thursday gentlemanā€™s ride).

If you or anyone wants to run these (or I can set it up and not partake until Iā€™m up to speed) then let me know.

Thanks @Oliver_Smith . Could do.

As mentioned there is a group of usual suspects group 3 (G3) in the 2.0-2.5 range that ride 2 times per week.

We just text each other and agree to join a large (250+) C or D ride around 7:00 on Tuesdayā€™s and Thursdayā€™s.

I was invited to the Barrie Cycling Club zwift private ride last night. They had a dozen people out. Used the elastic. They have a DISCORD channel, but only Orrin and i were on it.

A few G3 people did try the rec group with @HappyOne but it was a bit slow for them. Just as @ChrisP 's ride would be too fast for us. But the attraction was/is there to ride with other club members.

Its definitely a goldilocks selection, exactly like real life. You have to pick the group whose pace makes sense for you.

But to your point. 2.5-ish is a sweet spot for G3.

Iā€™d like to see a group 3 like we have on the road on Thursday and Saturday. There may be appetite for that.

1 Like

@Francqlife How about I set something up and people can join if they like? Maybe we split the difference between 2.0 and 2.5 and call it a 2.3 w/kg ride? That gives us a middle ground between the other two rides and allows folk to use it for different purposes depending on their fitness levels?

Maybe set something up for a Saturday AM to start? Iā€™m not sure we can do the elastic thing on our rides for some reason (maybe only the ā€œofficial ridesā€ with Zwift can do that). @HappyOne @ChrisP can you confirm that?

Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to attend but if not it can run without me. I have a very annoying mucusy cough which I have had for nearly a month. It really comes and goes, when my chest is clear Iā€™m golden and Iā€™m at normal full speed but if not I get all hacky and my HR shoots up :frowning: Maybe it is time to see the doc but given the overloaded medical system at the moment if feels silly to take up resources on something pretty trivial.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you can use the elastic for ā€œeventsā€. That was a meetup feature.

I find setting a range for the flats and a range for the climbs works well to help keep people together and set the upper limit on watts/kg to help keep people together.

Using Discord is also really handy too as it doesnā€™t really matter where you on course. For example I joined a world late with G and Lance last night. They were in a fast pace partner group and I was doing a Z2 workout and we just chatted. It was great :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what you mean is the ā€˜keep the group togetherā€™ setting. It exists in meetups and seems to exist in some of the Zwift official rides but isnā€™t currently an option with the club events. I have made the request of the Zwift development team to add it so maybe we will see it available in a future update. I know they have some big feature/function additions coming in the new year.

3 Likes

Nice conversation everyone.

Iā€™d be keen to try it @Oliver_Smith

Many below do Zwift on Saturday. Though I ride outside with Drew and a few others every Wednesday (tonight) and Saturday morning.

That said, Iā€™m pretty sure we could get 6-12 people to try a 2.0-2.3 club ride. Anyone from the club can join in and see where it goes.

The usual G3 suspect include:

Alain
Drew
Orrin
Del
Corrie
Malcolm
Jason
John
Oliver

Maybeā€¦

@ColinM
@Sean_MacCormack
@DaveG

Yeah my take is that everyone should choose a group whose goals align with theirs for the ride. If thatā€™s our ā€œfastā€ ride at 3.5ish, awesome. If not, also awesome.

But, in Zwift land we have the advantage of being able to chat on discord together even if we arenā€™t riding ā€œtogetherā€. Like @ChrisP said, weā€™ve done a few rides now where we arenā€™t together in zwift land, and are doing completely different workouts etc, but we get the added motivation/encouragement/ā€œhelping the time passā€ from each other being on the same voice channel. So join the WCC discord people!

1 Like