Randonneurs Ontario 200km Brevet from Waterloo - Saturday, May 4, 2024

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are on the pending wet forecast? Still game?

Personally, I’ll probably bail if it’s bad weather (i.e. cool & wet). I’m not the best with Rule #5 and #9.

Just watching the forecast and will make a final call Friday evening (or even Saturday morning).

For myself, I am probably committed to riding either way. The temps look more than manageable and the rain hopefully won’t be too heavy/go on for too long. If you believe AccuWeather, it might not even rain at all!

3 Likes

Will decide Friday late afternoon. I don’t have anything else planned for the day so may go regardless but depends on how heavy the rain looks. A light shower at the start of the ride is fine but rain all through doesnt excite me.

2 Likes

Let’s keep an eye on the weather. FWIW, the forecast is already noticeably better than this morning.

1 Like

I will still give it a try and see how it goes.

3 Likes

Windy.com is showing a bit of rain but dries up past 9am.

4 Likes

Looks like we should have a solid of group of 6 of us tomorrow (including @EricR, @joemonks, @Patti, @Natalka). The weather should be pretty much perfect - very little to no rain, warm temps, and cloudy skies.

See everyone at the check in (6:30 to 6:50am) - Don’t forget your vest and lights! For anyone still thinking of joining, registration is open until 8pm tonight via the link in the initial post.

1 Like

@Stuart is joining us as well.

1 Like

Fred, the host, mentioned that ~20 riders registered for this brevet. Even with some no-shows it should still be a sizable group. See you all tomorrow!

2 Likes

If y’all have fun with this ride, try the Nassagaweya 300.

How the weather turned out to be so perfect when the forecast was for rain is a mystery, but one we won’t question! It was a great day to be out, and it was great to have so much WCC representation! For some of us 200km was a new achievement, for others it was a repeat milestone, but we all pushed ourselves, worked together and with others, met some new friends, and flew the club colours with pride (channeling my inner @Francqlife here :joy:)

@Natalka
@joemonks
@Patti
@Stuart
@EricR
@Serg (hopefully that’s you!)

Sorry, I didn’t get too many photos (too busy gobbling down chews), but here’s a shot of the group I spent a good part of the day with:

9 Likes

Few more pics here … Cambridge stop, finish line pic and log card. It was a fun day out with great company.

11 Likes

Looks so fun! Hoping to make it to one of these this year

4 Likes

It was a great day! I loved this route & the company was pretty good too :wink:.

2 Likes

Just putting this out there… its with the Toronto section … just an extra 80k June 8th Lakes and Vines 300 · Ride with GPS

4 Likes

I think I’m available, and would be keen to do it!

Could also look to choose a route from the Randonneurs Ontario portfolio (Queen’s Bush 200K or Nassagaweya 300K?) and do it internally on a date that works for whoever’s interested.

1 Like

@EricR That would be a good option, I hadn’t thought of that! I’m interested in the Lakes and Vines option, but sadly am not available that weekend. The Nassagaweya 300k looks like a sweet route

1 Like

I came up with all the Waterloo routes so naturally I think they’re alright. The schedule was tight last year since people were using the rides as qualifiers for Paris-Brest-Paris, but this year they could have spaced it out more.

Lakes and Vines is one of the prettiest 300k routes that they have, and it’s one my favourites too. @Gwyneth_Mitchell (another accomplished WCC randonneur) and @VikramSubramanian both did L&V last year.

5 Likes

I highly recommend Lakes and Vines! Really nice! That was @VikramSubramanian first Randonneur ride! Skipping over 200k distance straight for the 300, what a baddass.
I also loved the Nassagaweya, which was my first 300.

2 Likes