Randonneurs Ontario 200km Brevet from Waterloo - Saturday, May 4, 2024

Hi folks,

A friend and I are planning on riding the Randonneurs Ontario 200km brevet on Saturday, May 4th. I thought I’d put the word out in case anyone else is interested in riding - would be great to have some WCC representation. I’ve never done an RO event and only a few 200km rides, so I’ll definitely be trying to just keep a steady pace and get myself around the course.

It looks like a great route though, circling KW and Guelph and taking on some local favourites like Middlebrook and Sandhills. The coffee stop at Flow State in Guelph is always a good time too. The start/finish at the Tim Hortons at Weber/Northfield is nice and accessible. I know there have been some WCC groups taking on these events in the past and everyone I’ve talked to has loved it!

Just a note that this is an RO club event, and you have to be a RO member to ride, though you can always try a ride for free if you have another OC membership. RO also has particular rules about having lights and a reflective vest, so be aware of that.

Here’s a link to the actual event:
Sandhills | Sat May 4 07:00 *

*The website lists the start in Windsor for some reason, but this is an error - it’s in Waterloo as mentioned above.

1 Like

I did that Brevet a couple of years ago. It is a good route but there is a lot of climbing. The worst is going into Guelph on Watson Road (a short 15% climb). When I did it, I did ~100K with 2 speeds since my rear derailleur cable snapped (luckily not a complete snap and I was not in the largest gear). It made for an interesting day.

I am definitely interested. Looks to be all road right, just one small section of gravel?

Wow that’s lucky :joy:

But yeah, there’s lots of climbing for sure. The two climbs on Watson Rd will feel great after 100km+ of riding!

Awesome! Yeah I think it should be all road, apart from the rail trail in Fergus.

The rail trail is packed gravel anyways. I have taken my road bike on it many times. Remember to take a picture of the grand river going over the train bridge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m thinking of doing this one too. My longest ride this season was just over 100K, so it’ll be interesting :sweat_smile:
Looking forward to riding with you if I don’t bail out at the last minute!

1 Like

I am interested in this too !!! hoping for a coffee stop though.

2 Likes

I’ll be stopping a few times for sure. We’ll be going by Monigram’s in Galt and Flow State in Guelph, both good spots for cupa

2 Likes

I’m interested as well, weather dependent.

2 Likes

@Rei_Kawamura did you see this?

2 Likes

Yes. Thanks Doris. It’s still the beginning of season. I need more training :wink: Also I wouldn’t be able to keep up the speed.

1 Like

I did this route about 4 - 5 years ago… this route is put on by a WCC member @charlie-horse and it is a wonderful route. Yes, there are a number of climbs… but if you take them easily you can conquer them all. The gravel section was hard packed when I rode it… but that will depend on township maintenance schedules. :wink: It is about 3 km section so be prepared.
Enjoy the ride!!!

1 Like

I did develop this route back for its first run in 2019. I’m not officially involved with organizing rides anymore, but it’s still a solid route!

If you’re registering for the ride, it’s free as a trial member for anyone with OCA insurance already, but it’s essential to register with this link: https://ccnbikes.com/#!/events/randonneurs-ontario-membership-2024

Not sure if I’ll make it down for this one… weather isn’t looking terrible though.

5 Likes

I signed up so as long as weather is at least okay am good to go. Would be pretty cool to get a good little WCC contingent. I know the host said he would love to see WCC riders there (who just so happens to be Jeffs brother in law).

3 Likes

I am registered as well!

3 Likes

See you there @Patti @joemonks :+1:

2 Likes

That Niagara route looks nice as well @Rei_Kawamura, I might give that one a try later on this year

3 Likes

Weather appears to be trending in a nice direction, so I’m likely to register and ride as well.

3 Likes

Registered and committed! Should be fun!

2 Likes