No Winter Maintenance Challenge

I’m planning on riding the NWM route this weekend. Haven’t decided Saturday or Sunday yet. Planning to leave Orangeville around 6:30 for an early start and just setting an easy pace all day. It would be cool if anybody else wants to give it a try and ride in an un-grouped fashion. (close but not too close) its always nice to have others in the area in case something happens and for the odd bit of company.

5 Likes

are you driving up the day of, or staying over in Orangeville?

driving up day of

Nice route! Sadly my body isn’t up for this kind of challenge yet. By the end of the month I should be “ready” to tackle these bigger adventures.

I hope whoever goes has fun. Hopefully the weather won’t be as warm as forecast for the weekend.

1 Like

Afraid I’m doing the cannonball again this weekend with some friends, otherwise I’d be in. Best of luck!

1 Like

I’m in. Gonna be a long one. Lotsa climbing, I guess I should cut back to just one donut a day this week. :grin::doughnut:

1 Like

Hmm, that is tempting. I’ve been contemplating the GNR Lite or doing the full G2G (G2G For real both ways - A bike ride in Kitchener, Ontario) as lockdown eases, but that route looks much harder so a bit of a challenge to do first, lol. In any case Saturday doesn’t work for me but Sunday might.

3 Likes

@Arlambert Ya sounds like its gonna be Sunday. The only problem is the plan was to get people to ride close to each other. In your case I think you will be far FAR ahead. :laughing:

1 Like

Maybe I’d be back in shape to have a go at it in the autumn, plus the leaves will be pretty colours then.

1 Like

I’d love to join too, but I need to kick up my fitness before I can hit these longer rides. Have a great ride!!

2 Likes

Just for fun, I wanted to try out the poll options on the forum to see how it works. I’m trying to decide which bike to take.

My CAADX is my dedicated gravel bike. The aluminum frame is the heaviest option (lots of elevation on route), but it has 35 mm tires. Gearing is 2x: 46-36 x 11-32
Skittles is my Kindhuman CX race bike. Carbon frame and wheels, but it’s limited to 33 mm tires, and it’s a 1x drivetrain: 42 x 11-36
My Devinci Wooky is a carbon hardtail mountain bike, aluminum wheels. Drivetrain is 1x, cassette is 11-40, and the front chainring is I don’t know, whatever they put on mountain bikes these days…

Based on the route description, it’s pretty gnarly, so I guess the mountain bike makes sense, I’m just such a drop-bars snob sometimes, I feel like I’m gonna really want different hand positions after, say, hour number 10.

• CAADX , Al CX bike with carbon wheels and 35 mm tires
  • Skittles (carbon frame and wheels) 33 mm tires
  • Devinci Wooky, hardtail carbon MTB, 2.2" tires

0 voters

1 Like

I vote you ride your fat bike. Just think how comfortable you’ll be when you’re in the 20th hour of the ride and still not done.

Also, I always take peoples “gnarly” ratings of trails and roads with a grain, or cup, of salt.

1 Like

MTB with TT bars then?

1 Like

MTB with TT bars? That is really a thing (or at least it should be).

I put TT bars on my son’s hardtail to ride the not-P2A course (so he could ride by CX bike). I have to say that it worked out really well. Fast and comfortable on the straights, and handled the singletrack like only a MTB could.

2 Likes

Darn Sunday is no fun for me. Saturday though

David, I’m sure there will be other group opportunities for this ride. I’m sure it will be a popular route. Heat/wind combined with a 4am or so wake up is what made me decide otherwise for this wknd. Ill post if I see a favorable wknd that I would attempt it on.

3 Likes

Sounds good!

1 Like

I’m curious if you did ride this last year @CANGERMANN?

1 Like

Ya @KevRidesGravel, @Arlambert and I rode it together last year and @RustyHacksaw rode it this year already. It’s a long day with lots of climbing.

Do you recall how many hours of moving time/avg pace? And how much of the gravel was relatively slower/chunkier? Trying to decide tires/how long I can sleep in…