No Winter Maintenance Challenge

@JDCB I had 11:52 moving time, and 14:57 elapsed time., Average speed 20.6 km/h. I cut off a tiny bit at the end while Chris and Andrew completed the proper route (so I had 244 km). I didn’t bring lights and so I was stressed and trying to beat sunset - fortunately Andrew had a front light and a head lamp, so I was able to borrow the headlamp.

I ran 35 mm tires - at the time my choice was 35 mm or my mountain bike. I now have a bike with 40 mm tires and those I think would be just about perfect. There are some “chunky” areas where Chris on his 650b x 2" tires were definitely an advantage - but the vast majority of the distance is still just typical gravel roads.

oh yeah, I forgot, it’s climbey. Like really climbey. When I filter my all time list of Strava activities, this is #1 by over 1,000 meters.

1 Like

Yup, here’s my ride - https://www.strava.com/activities/7219212593
I started at 7 am, 19km/h ave, 13 hrs moving, 15.5 elapsed, but that was 1.5 hours worth of screwing around replacing an internally routed rear derailleur cable when it snapped, lol. When I did it there were a few freshly graded roads, but most of it was really good. There are a lot of trails, a few optional, but you will be off and walking up at least one or two of the big climbs because they’re wrecked/loose/chunky. I had a mostly bald vittoria terreno dry on the rear and had a few traction issues, but otherwise whatever tires you have will do really. The singletrack was super fun. You’ll definitely want to bring a light or two just in case, I had mine and definitely needed it. In retrospect, I would have made a bigger effort to start earlier. Pretty sketchy descending some of those no maintenance roads with only a bar light. Highly recommended!

Our moving time was 11:28:22. 22km/h average . The majority of the route is normal gravel roads with probably 15-20% of the rough chunky stuff. I rode a 2" tire more just for the comfort knowing it was going to be a long day and they help soak up the constant bumps. Definitely leave early and bring a light just in case.

1 Like

Start as early as you can manage, big rides always seem to go better for me if I start at or before sunrise. I find it’s easier to ride in the morning twilight before sunrise while a bit groggy than riding at night with 2-300km in the legs.

Also if you’re looking for something a little easier, there’s always the gravel brevet on the 6th of august

1 Like

All this chit chat has me reminiscing (and forgetting the horrible bonk I had around Mansfield).

Should do it again… maybe I’ll do better at eating, and yes start early, and bring lights…

Perhaps mid to late July?

4 Likes

Take me along, Kev! I’ll selflessly bonk before all of you so everyone can have a relaxed (albeit slow and long) ride!

In seriousness though- Those hills are brutal (know this courtesy of Eager Beaver). I should probably sit this one out ha

Thanks everyone for the information! We took a crack at it yesterday bright and early and after getting soaked in the morning was a beautiful (but steep!) day. Our ride for the interested:

6 Likes