Le Tour de Norfolk - Sunday, July 21, 2024

Are we still able to sign up the day of the ride?

@Scottmac yup. Day of registration is the plan. Hope you can make it!

3 Likes

Yes you can @Scottmac in fact most people do in case the weather is bad and there are no refunds / transfers.

Speaking of which, I signed up ages ago and I’m still in no state to ride (still banned from outdoor riding too!). I have an entry so if someone wants to pretend to be me they are welcome to it (since there are no transfers!)

More selfishly, I also ordered the jersey but it seems that they are for pickup on the day ( I assume since nothing has arrived). I tried to email them but no response. Could I trouble someone to grab it for me onsite?

Thanks Oliver. I should be able to go and will grab the Jersey for you.

1 Like

I’ll be there before 8am doing either the 100km or 160km.

1 Like

I’ll just join whatever has the biggest group (100 or 160)

It seems like there are enough rest stops to replenish water and fuel. Is this true or am I best to pack some jersey snacks?

Yeah, there was a number of well-stocked stops on route last year with water, Gatorade, Clif Bars, fruit, and more available. Probably worth having some calories on hand to be safe, but should be able to rely on them for the most part.

3 Likes

Alright.

Who’s Going on Sunday?

@bdoberst or @Oliver_Smith can we put a post/poll here to take a tally of who is doing what distance? Last year, Oliver, you did a really good job of ralling the troops through the forum.

I understand that Yvette and the TdN organizers are making this the LAST TdN.

We’ve been riding the TdN for well over 15 years.

This is us in 2011 Tour de Norfolk (2011) | Flickr

And more people came out in 2012. We all wore the original Tour de Waterloo jerseys. Tour de Norfolk, July 21, 2012 | Flickr

Here’s the video we made of that 2012 ride.

Too many pictures and memories to post them all. Last year was excellent with over 25 club members across all distances.

Most are registering Day-Of so we can gauge based on the poll which distances we want to rally around together.

Let’s go!

Alain

4 Likes

Hey @Francqlife,

I think Eric already posted a poll in this thread:

Might be worth just pointing folk there rather starting a new poll :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to miss it this year but on the plus side, I’m on the mend. Riding indoors but doc says no riding outdoors until it has been 3 months post fracture.

2 Likes

I think there will be two groups for the 160. This will be the first time there is a group for the rec.

3 Likes

Ah. Missed that.

Yes of course… everyone over to @EricR 's poll.

A.

P.S. Super @CWilson . Last year we all rolled out together. Super calm, easy, chatting, stopping, soaking it all in. Later…along the water with a tail wind…some felt the need for speed before the first rest stop. We all re-goruped there for cookies and chips. 160 is long…but not within a large peloton. The miles fly by. As long as there are alot of WCC people riding, it always seems to work out.

3 Likes

Is the 160K crew intending to start at the recommended 8AM?

Yes, 160km is planning to roll out at 8.
I’ll be in a Drops LeCol kit with orange helmet, and @Sean_Ryans et al have said they will be in WCC Greens - if you’re looking for the casual pace group.

I have been given permission to attend…I am planning on 160km with the faster group. My preference is the WCC green (most comfortable hot weather riding kit I have) and will be there for the 8:00am rollout. See you in the morning folks.

Kev

3 Likes

I’ll be there for 8:00 am roll out in Faction kit.

Tour de Norfolk recap

What a day! Over 30 WCC riders showed up this morning with a roughly 40/60 split between 100km and 160km riders. One large group of 160km riders set off at 8:00am and (apparently) set a brisk 33 kms/hr pace for the first 100kms, slowing down only slightly for the last 60kms as the heat set in. The 100km riders were split into several different groups since there was no real start time…riders just left any time after the 160km group left.

I personally rode with a group of a 6-10 riders…3 WCCers and a handful of ‘others’ who ebbed and flowed as the day went on. Shout out to both Roni and Andree who completed their first ever 100km rides at an impressive 28 kms/hr pace! Post ride, we all tailgated and enjoyed watermelon and build-your-own sandwiches supplemented by ice cream provided by Tour de Norfolk. It’s sad that this event will not be offered again, but WCC definitely

came out in force to mark the end of an era.

Posting a few photos, including one from 2012 when a huge contingent of WCCers also took part.

8 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

Thanks @bdoberst

This was special.

I located Yvette (organizer) and gave her a big hug on behalf of the WCC.

We’ve been going to this event for 15 years. End of an era.

Super great to see “The Sea Of Green” one last time at the start of these mass events. :heart:

We dedicated this ride to our great friend Rob Samide.

9 Likes