Faction Racing

Spring is upon us and another year of racing is gearing up in Ontario. As many of you may know Faction Racing is a local race team and is primarily sponsored by the Waterloo Cycling Club (WCC). The team is comprised of athletes that compete in all different types of racing on two wheels including; road, mountain bike, triathlon, gravel, time trial and cyclo-cross.

About Us

No matter which discipline(s) you love to race Faction is an inclusive and supportive environment, anyone can join, although all our members do have to become WCC club members first. We do support a number of sponsored athletes every year. These sponsored athletes have to be willing to commit to training and competing in as much of their disciplines season as possible. They are expected to collaborate with team mates and act in a professional, considerate and friendly manner while training and competing. Sponsored athletes receive some financial support to help with race kit and other expenses, these benefits vary year to year depending on the teams budget.

Whether you’re new to racing or you’re an experienced veteran, if you’re committed to the coming season of racing and are interested in applying to be a sponsored athlete just fill out the form in the link below.

Faction Application

If you want to join the team just reply here or shoot me a pm on the forum or ask below. Everyone is welcome as long as you’re willing to push yourself, learn new skills and most importantly have fun. We do have a facebook group where some discussion happens as well as an email list. If you want to be added to either just ask. Of course discussion also happens on the forum under the Race category since every member of Faction must also be a WCC member. We have many seasoned racers in every discipline, so feel free to ask questions in the Race category or start up a topic about a coming race or a search for teammates to work with in a particular category.

The Year Ahead

For a number of years now Faction athletes have lead a criterium ride for the club starting in late June or early July. This ride starts our as Learn to Crit, and teaches the basics of cornering, positioning and tactics in a criterium. Even if you never plan to race a crit these are invaluable skills to help you improve your ability to handle a bike. After a few weeks the ride changes to Crit Training and focuses on intervals and crit simulations. These rides will be posted to the forum, we hope many member come out and give them a try.

You’ll see Faction athletes at many of the club rides and we’ll be at the Learn to Group Ride program helping out so there will be many opportunities to ask questions and talk racing during the year.

We’ll post about coming races and get some race reports up as the season unfolds.

If you have any questions please ask away.

Mark

11 Likes

@MarkW - when I enter an event I don’t see Faction as a team affiliation ?

Hey Will,

Sorry for the delay. Faction should be affiliated with Ontario Cycling this week.

2 Likes

Hey Mark, I’m interested in joining this year.

1 Like

Awesome David. What disciplines were you thinking of trying?

We’re in the process of getting organized and will hopefully have some social gatherings and such soon. Shoot me a pm if you want your email added to the group. We’ll get you on the Facebook group.

1 Like

I threw in an application. I used to race enduro when I lived out west, and am getting into triathlons here. Been a while since I did any serious racing, but would be cool to be on a team for motivation/camaraderie.

2 Likes

Any update on if Faction is affiliated yet? And how we update our license from WCC to Faction before P2A ? Thanks

1 Like

I just tried searching Faction for my Provincial Race license purchase, and it didn’t come up. It should appear on CCN any day now.

I’ll look into it with Ontario Cycling. Once we’re affiliated it’s just a matter of writing Chris Baskys to get your license updated.

Sorry for the delay.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear. There’s a solid mtb group that race the o-cups and the Cannondale XCO race series.

1 Like

Hi @MarkW . Bumping this conversation for 2024. I applied to join Faction several weeks ago but haven’t heard anything. I’m already registered for P2A with Faction but I still need to update my OCA license to match. Has there been any discussion about the 2024 racing year yet?

In particular I’d like to confirm that I’m accepted and ideally order some kit to race in :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey Kevin,
I am in the same boat but I have connected with Vance over the winter. Last we spoke, he was still working on affiliating Faction with Ontario Cycling and would update my licence when the we were affiliated. I also need kit as I only got a set of bibshorts and a jersey when Cx season was done. He said he would set up the kit shop again at the end of February so hopefully once he gets back from Cuba it will be set up. I would like to wear a little more than a jersey and shorts for P2A especially after last years weather.

Hey Kevin, I’ve sorry you haven’t got a response. I’ll message Vance and make sure you’re updated on everything.

I’m interested in applying as well. Is there a new application for 2024?

1 Like

Hi Emily, below is the link to the application form. The dates need to be updated, but it still works.

https://www.factionracing.com/apply

Thanks for your interest, we’re trying to get everything organized right now for 2024.

4 Likes

Hi Emily!
I am excited to see you interested in Faction. I joined during Cx season last year and I live FAR out of the Waterloo area. I am looking forward to meeting more of the team as I have only met those who race Cx so far. Which disciplines do you ride?
Amy

No worries at all. Thanks Mark. I’m also happy to help with any organization if needed.
At this point I was mostly just looking for confirmation so I can update my race license prior to P2A.

@joemonks @Portasaurus - interest in joining Faction team as well?

1 Like

Hey Amy! Unfortunately I don’t race CX. I raced on the track this season and I’m hoping to do road and gravel races. Hope we cross paths!

2 Likes

I also do gravel and am hoping to try a road race this year! I am doing the 70km at P2A

1 Like

I would like to apply to faction for this year. Can I please be added to the emailing list?

1 Like