Anybody else doing it? It’s this Sunday I’m doing the short course 84km (2 laps). There’s also a long course which is 3 laps-128km which is a UCI world gravel championships qualifier.
Last day to register is today June 7: https://thebluemountainsgravelfondo.com/
I was going to, but after scouting out the course I decided it wasn’t for me. The single track was very swampy and muddy.
Another WCC member and I are still planning to camp at Craigleith.
Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of this mud trend in gravel. I’m guessing this is the key muddy segment to contend with Mud & Blood | Strava Ride Segment in The Blue Mountains, Ontario, Canada
So it’s named “mud and blood” and the KOM is 16 km/h. Yup sounds pretty messy…
It’s weird that they are putting this in given how many beautiful gravel roads are there. Trying to be a little P2A’ish?
I agree, it seemed very P2A to me. Some of the mud was similar to the mud slide of P2A. Some sections were unridable I would think for even the most adventurous riders. Like big deep water puddles without any real crossing, just shimmy along the side and hope for the best. I didn’t check out the other small section of single track because the mosquitos in this section were horrible! From Google maps it looks like rail trail, but it could easily devolve into more of the same. They are very short sections, but I have to admit to myself that I don’t think that kind of thing is for me. Some folks are going to love it though!
lol! “Blood” for all the blood you’re going to lose to the mosquitos!
It’s being organized in connection to p2a so that would make sense. I’m unabashedly going to walk/run super squirrelly sections. Especially after seeing the scene at p2a and then unbound more recently (via YouTube, Strava)
Definitely not as bad as Unbound!
Just closing the loop on this one. Here is quick download in case anyone is interested:
- participants: ~110 in long course, ~60 in short course
- route: 3 laps of 42km loop mostly gravel roads (2 for short)
- long course was UCI world gravel qualifier so it was much more competitive
- see qualifiers here Qualified riders – UCI Gravel World Series
- lots of climbing totalling 2000m including 4km to start each lap
- there was a 2km mud technical section which included deep mud and at least one unrideable portion
- I went over the handlebars in the mud on lap one and bent derailleur hanger which led to multiple chain drops and losing my group
- it was grueling but fun and I met some nice people