2nd WCC Time Trial at Crowsfoot this Thursday June 1st!

Our 2nd TT of the season is this Thursday June 1st starting at 7pm. Weather is looking excellent for fast times. Warm temps and calm winds.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

WCC Thursday TT #2

Date: Thursday, June 1st
Start Time: 7:00pm (Registration 6:30pm with Kevin S). We are changing the start to 7:00pm for reduced traffic as well as to give members additional time to get to the location, warmup etc.
Estimated Finish Time: 8:00pm
Discipline: Time Trial
Culture: Race but open to all ability levels!
Approximate Distance: 13.8km

Start Location:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/oyBaP4pscVfMAaFV7?g_st=ic

Route:
Crowsfoot…This course has been a longstanding WCC tradition that has been in use since the early 70’s. It is just under 14km, flat and very fast with a slight downhill to start and uphill to challenge you at the finish.

Description:
All ability levels are welcome. Any bike type is welcome as well (no e-Bikes). People have raced on road, TT, cross/gravel, MTB’s, hand cycles etc.

There are two categories “Aero” and “Road Bike”:

Aero:
Anything goes (No UCI restrictions)

Road:
No clip on aerobars, no invisible aerobars/hands draped over the tops, no TT disc rear wheels, no TT specific helmet, (Aero road helmets are fine, skin suits are fine).

All bike types are welcome. If you have clip on aerobars or want to use invisible aerobars / hands draped over the tops on your road bike you can participate, you’ll just be slotted into the aero category.

If you have specific questions prior to your ride please ask here.

Thanks and see you there!

3 Likes

I would target 26:00 min. if that helps.

I’ll aim for 25 minutes this time around.

With the nicer weather and a couple of changes on the road bike I’m going to shoot for ~19:30

Thank you for posting Chris. I have just returned from BC and will be there to time all you wonderful people. As has been done by a couple people so far, please mark yourself as going, and reply to the forum post with an expected finish time, that way I can create a reasonable start list beforehand.

Looking forward to seeing some fast times this week everyone. Come out and prove to yourself what you are made of.

Reminder to anyone who drives to the course, parking is on Durst Sideroad, about 1km up Crowsfoot from the start position.

See you Thursday,
Kevin S.

Will be a first ever TT attempt for me, so going conservative with 29 and hoping for better.

5 Likes

I’ve made a few tweaks to my road bike for TTs.

Converted to 1x with a 54T chainring, removed front derailleur, installed new chain, 10-33 cassette and GP5K TDF TT tubeless tires.

If this setup works well I’ll use it for various club TT’s and maybe even provincials road bike TT champs this year.

Big thanks Mike at McPhails for the great service. :smile:

4 Likes

So far… very small field. Four for sures and 5 possible… plus a few KWCA people that Coach Good has said will be coming out. Plenty of space for others… I’ll be there quite early to set-up and pre-ride the course. Please arrive before 6:45 so we can get everyone signed in and the start list finalized. You will have time to warm-up – if needed because it’s going to be a warm one. :wink:
See you all tomorrow evening.
Kevin S

2 Likes

Hey Kevin, I’m planning to ride again! Slot me in at 21:00.
Hoping to beat my previous record with some arm & leg exposed this time around.

2 Likes

Sure, let’s say 19:59 for me. I’ll be bringing my invisible aero bars, but not using them :yum:. I won’t have a power meter tomorrow and there are a lot of variables changed (i.e. riding my different bike, lol) but invisible aero bars seem comparable to other positions (https://www.cyclingtips.com/2021/05/real-world-aero-testing-which-hand-positions-are-fastest/). Would aerodynamic frame bags put one in the “aero” category if someone was to use them, lol? (https://www.apidura.com/journal/apidura-aero-pack-system-packs-that-make-you-faster/) (I also doubt the one I have on is aero :yum:)

1 Like

Hi Kevin, est. time is 22:30 min. Thanks!

1 Like

Conditions will be significantly faster than the gong show weather we raced in last time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gonna try for 23:30.

1 Like

Haha those frame bags are cool! If I was doing long adventure races they would be a great option :slight_smile:

Yeah IAB versus UCI legal on the hoods is between 0.5-1.0 sec per km for most riders at 40kmh. (5-10watts) I was sad when the UCI banned IAB but since sanctioned events follow those rules now for road bike TT’s we decided to follow suit. (Plus it’s truer to the spirit of the category)

1 Like

This sounds so fun! Maybe in another year I’ll have the confidence to try it! No idea how to ride a TT at the moment. Still new to biking.

2 Likes

It is fun! All you do is ride your bike one way as fast as you can and then turn around and ride back as fast as you can! It’s a race for your own personal best. Come on out!

2 Likes

Gwyneth - great to hear from you! If you’re there I’d feel less nervous haha. But my eldest daughter has her prom pictures tonight at exactly that time. Ugh. These kids are messing up my riding schedule! Will there be another time trial this summer?

Pam

Yes, I will be there! I can’t promise I’ll be there the next time but hope to make it out as much as I can. It’s nice to be able to see your progress over the season. They are happening on a monthly basis I think?

Ok then I’ll try to come next month if I can!

I’ll be there. Aiming for about 21 minutes

1 Like