**Unofficial** Rec Rides - The Virtual Edition

Hey @ChrisP I think that first ride was organized outside the club and you had to message @HappyOne to get the meetup details beforehand. It looks like the next one is through the WCC zwift club. The link to the Zwift Club is here: The at Home Cycling & Running Virtual Training App I think the name is WaterlooCyclingClub if you want to search for it?

We are still working out the details of official rides but hope to have some running soon. I have been recovering from COVID so not been able to ride (hopefully soon).

Related @Steven_Stillaway and @tcauduro could we please have a separate sub area under Ride called Virtual Cycling. Would be good to create a topic there about the Zwift club and setup? Then hopefully it won’t get lost with other posts. We can maybe also talk about other options too like Rouvy or RGT.

Thanks found the club and requested to join.

So we have a couple of options it looks like:

• Create event within the club
  • Piggy back onto an existing ride

If you wanted you could have different virtual ride leaders for different groups just like we do in real life and make them admins of the Zwift WCC club. That way they would be able to create events.

Instead of Group 1-5 we could use Zwift’s A-D system based on watts/kg:

WCC Group 1 = Zwift Group A: 4.0+
WCC Group 2 = Zwift Group B: 3.2 - 3.9
WCC Group 3 = Zwift Group C: 2.5 - 3.2
WCC Group 4 = Zwift Group D: 1.0 - 2.5
WCC Group 5 = Zwift Group E: 1.0 - 5.0

Something to consider but it would make it easy for club members to create events and give riders a good idea guide on the power and watts/kg range required for a particular event.

Cheers,
Chris

@ChrisP I have accepted your invitation. We are still working out what makes an “official” ride but if you like I can make you a moderator so you can organize rides through the Zwift club?

We have about 4 moderators so far but happy to add more (as mentioned I’m not taking any ownership here).

I would say it would be more important to set a smaller range than the 5 letters. The ranges are pretty broad here. D for example is 1.0 to 2.5. I’m not sure I can even ride at 1.0 but 2.5 is Z2 for me. Maybe we set a smaller range e.g. 2.0 to 2.5?

Thanks, yes please that would be great if you could add me as a mod/admin.

We can specify in the comments for the ride description what sort of pace we’d like to have for the ride. Can be completely flexible there. :slight_smile:

Ie: steady ride at x watts/kg or a mini race, TT or whatever we like.

Okay added @ChrisP !

We haven’t done huge amounts of testing on the club rides. They seem to be a little more restricted then we had hoped so any workarounds / feedback is helpful :slight_smile:

Just a consideration with the power ranges, I think Zwift uses them not just to group but as gates so that if your ftp/weight doesn’t fit in a class, you can’t ride it. Helps with the races and such. I know for the Rec stuff, I would like anyone who wants to join to be able to. We are just going at a pace that might be slower for them.

In meetups, you can set it so the group stays together regardless of the power output. I have done a couple of rides like that and think it works really well for the Rec rides. It isn’t an option for club events at this point. I have made the feature request with the Zwift development team so I guess we will see what the future holds.

For sure, there’s category enforcement if you want to use it. A lot of events will be setup as “E” so that anyone can ride it. Lots of flexibility and options. :slight_smile:

The no drop is good too but depending on the ride you’ll generally want to stay in your cat range.

sorry I missed it! I was logged in and ready but could not figure out how to contact you to join the ride. Ended up doing one of the Zwift workouts.

Wednesday’s ride is posted under the club events section now so you should be able to select ‘going’ anytime now and it should show up on the main page of the Zwift app.

The iOS/Android Zwift Companion app makes browsing events, joining them and chatting during a ride easier. It runs on your phone to be a companion to the main app itself.

It is a free download from the Play Store/ App Store.

I would like to make the group rides. Great idea.

3 Likes