Track Races 2021/2022

Track racing is starting up!
Hopefully we can get more WCC representation?

FYI spectators are free admission!

The Tentative Track Racing Calendar (all events at Mattamy National Cycling Centre (Milton)).

Saturday night races:
Oct 16
Nov 13
Nov 27th
Dec 4
Dec 18
Jan 22
Feb 5
Feb 19
March 19
Apr 2

December 12 - OCup #1
January 16 - OCup #2
February 11-13 - OCup #3/Eastern Challenge

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, will definitely head out this winter. Do you know when they are running the cert programs again? (Lorie needs to get certified)

Also are there rental bikes for kids? (12 years old)

I’ve always wanted to give the kilo and IP a go.

Thanks,
Chris

Hey @ChrisP

Awesome!

They are running cert classes again…
https://ncirevolution.com/ride/track-certification/

As for IP and kilo…I know you can train for them in the AST (advanced structured training) sessions…there are others doing it.
https://ncirevolution.com/train/adult-training/

The IST sessions are a bit more group oriented with some team pursuit drills…along with points race or intervals training.

Let me know if I can help in any way!
Cheers

2 Likes

Oh…and they have rentals with 650 wheels for smaller kids! (Sorry forgot to answer that bit earlier…)

They have a good youth certification program my daughter went through 3 years ago with my son (also 12) planning on taking it this winter.

FYI, I also arranged a “private” Try the Track session for my workplace and the group had an amazing time!

2 Likes

The first “Saturday Race Night” of the series took place this past Saturday (Oct 16). The turnout was amazing as the organizers decided to combine adult and youth races into the same night. As a result, there were 70-90 cyclists racing in one of 5 categories (Adult A, B, C. Youth A or B). We also had 50-60 spectators dotted through the stands and standing areas on the corners!

The powers at be decided it was time for me to be promoted from Adult C (what I raced for a couple years) to Adult B based on my results during informal racing/training at the coached/structured sessions over the last 2 months.

We raced 3 races (with my race speeds included for context):

• Scratch race (30 laps = 7.5km) - basically ‘a bike race’ where the first across the finish is the winner. → (avg: 46.7km/h, max: 57.6km/h)
  • Snowball (20 laps = 5km) - the first rider across the line each lap gets points based on the lap number (e.g. lap 1 = 1 point, lap 12 = 12 points, etc.) → (avg: 47.1km/h, max: 58.7km/h)
  • Points race (40 laps = 10km) - every 10 laps the top 4 riders crossing the line get 5, 3, 2, 1 points respectively…with the finishing lap getting double points (10, 6, 4, 2). The winner is the rider with the most points. → (avg: 43.9km/h, max: 58.0km/h)

I did alright (going with some early breaks, finishing mid/lower pack…didn’t get lapped and finished each race) The jump up to B definitely increased the challenge and had me on the rivet a few times. But it also increased the quality and skill of the competition to make it more enjoyable and I had a really fun night.

I’m happy with my first event at the higher level and excited to give it another go in a few weeks!

Thanks to @Bopper for the AMAZING post race Tom Yum soup. Thanks to @Sammy_Ryu for the great pictures (see one below…I’m wearing the WCC green jersey/orange bike).
And thanks to both for coming out and cheering me on (I could hear you on some laps over my heartbeating!).

5 Likes

Great report Tom. I was also racing, but as part of KW Cycling Academy. After what felt like forever I was able to trasition some summer fitness over to the track after only 2 training sessions so far this season and had some respectible finish places even though Tom pipped me for a point in the points race.

The great thing was the number of youth athletes. KW Cycling Academy easily had 12-15 kids racing in all categories including having the Junors racing in the adult categories which they dominated.

Im looking forward to the next races coming up in November. Hopefully more can come out and try their legs on the track.

4 Likes

Awesome, congrats on moving up!

3 Likes

Thanks! Hopefully I can work my way into some better finishes. :slightly_smiling_face:

Does anyone know where the current IP and Kilo masters records would be located?

I found this?

1 Like

@ChrisP have you seen this site (page in link is track specific)?
http://www.cyclingmasters.com/site/records

Thanks, those look to be the Elite records…was wondering about Masters. Maybe Cycling Canada has them somewhere. :slight_smile:

they are Masters records…they are international Masters records.

I still can’t find the “Canada Masters Records”. I think you’re right…contact Cycling Canada. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

For some reason the Forum won’t let me edit the text on my first post (only the title).

One small adjustment to schedule… Saturday Night Races are tonight (not next Saturday.
Tonight is Keirin night in memory of Kelyn Akuna. Will be an exciting night of sprinting and bumping!

Updated race schedule below:

Saturday night races:
Oct 16
Nov 6
Nov 27th
Dec 4
Dec 18
Jan 22
Feb 5
Feb 19
March 19
Apr 2

1 Like

I was there as a spectator with my wife for at least half of the whole race.
I have attached some pictures of Tommy.

2 Likes

Full Canadian records are here including masters.
Note page 11😉

2 Likes

The kids have a great time too! Also the cafe is open now for snacks and hot or cold drinks.

image|375x500

1 Like

Great pics @Sammy_Ryu and @JMcLean !

This past Saturday was another fun night of track racing in Milton. The inaugural “Akuna Keirin Memorial Race” took place in memory of a great man, Kelyn Akuna.

Once again, the night consisted of both adult and youth racing (@JMcLean had both his sons out there tearing up the track and doing well!) and included 3 types of races with primes, prizes, and trophies. I am still racing in Category B (with James) and so will only share the race details for this category below.

Tempo Race (25 laps (6.25km) - my speeds - avg: 44.8km/h, max:57km/h)
After the first 5 laps, the first rider crossing the finish line for each lap thereafter collects 1 point. The winner is the rider with the most points (a tie on the final lap goes to the rider that crosses the line first).
In group B, this race basically becomes 5-6 strong (read: younger) riders charging off the front and taking turns collecting points while the rest of us warm our legs up for the next race. :grimacing: :joy:

Keirin - Heat 1 (my max: 58.1km/h)
A 6 lap race where the first 3 laps are behind the motobike in a predetermined order of 6 riders. The moto brings us up to 50km/h and with 3 laps remaining, leaves the track so that the race begins. Top 2 riders progress to the Keirin final. Remaining riders are seeded and race in one of 2 races for lower placings. There were a total of 3 races with 17 total racers. I finished in 2nd place in my heat and secured my spot in the final.

Scratch Race (35 laps (8.75km) - my speeds - avg: N/A max: 56.8km/h)
Your basic bike race…first across the finish line after 35 laps is the winner. I decided, beforehand, that I wanted to do well in the Keirin final and would use this race to loosen up my legs. The pack pace was very manageable and even, after 15 laps, when I decided to peel off the back and cruise, it took another 5 laps before the pack came close to lapping me. At that point I dropped off the track and DNF’d the race. Maybe James can provide better details as he competed well in this race!

Keirin Final (6 laps (as explained above) my max: 62.6km/h)
We ended up with 5 riders in the final as one rider decided they were done for the night.
It quickly became apparent I was the oldest rider in this final and found out that the other 4 riders were about half my age. :upside_down_face: and in their early 20’s. My goal quickly become ‘try and stay with the young guys’!
The race was one of the most thrilling Keirins I’ve done with all 5 of us crossing the line (3 across the front, 2 right behind/between them) within a fraction of a second. I ended up 4th and am very happy!
That got me 4/17 in Category B Keirin…still smiling! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Can’t wait to come out and try this out! Great right up, thanks.

3 Likes

Let’s make it happen, @Davidwp

What can I do to help? :grinning: