Help Wanted to Form a Ride Leader Group for Race/Fast (Groups 1, 2 and 3)

Note: The refreshed road cultures will be published soon and thus the reference to Race/Fast and/or Group 1, 2 and 3.

Over the last month we’ve been trying hard to find some of our pre-Covid “Art of the Ride” for our Race and Fast groups. I think we’re making great progress with groups forming more clearly and I’m starting to hear more positive feedback about the rides.

There is one big challenge though for us to further grow the “Art of the Ride”…we need more ride leaders to help organize the Race and Fast rides. I’m proposing building a group of leaders similar to what is working great for our Intermediate rides.

At current we have Scott Nevin leading Tuesday and me leading both Thursday and Saturday.

As a group, I think it would be ideal to have 5 or 6 people sharing the leadership:

• 1 or 2 for Race
  • 2 or 3 for Fast
  • 1 or 2 who are regulars for each of the three rides to ensure we’ve got backups

What would it mean to join this group?

1. Take part in regular communication (through this forum) on the status for each of our rides
  2. Volunteer to take the lead on a day when the primary leads (Scott and me are not available)
  3. For Saturday, it would be ideal for us to have a Group 1/2 primary lead
  4. For Saturday, contribute route ideas

What is doesn’t mean to be part of this group is being available for every Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday…that is what we’re trying to improve! :slight_smile:

If you’re a Race or Fast rider and interested in helping us build this group and/or would like more information, please respond to this post.

Thanks,
Jason

3 Likes

Hey @Jasonpollard

I’m happy to help out where I can here but any leading from me would probably need to be at the fast / group 3 side of things ( I wish I was faster!)

Thanks

Oliver

1 Like

My schedule is a bit more limited now, but if I’m able I’ll gladly continue to lead group 2/3 rides.

Jason,
My availability is better for the next while. I could take a rotation as ride leader for a 1/2 on some Saturdays.
If we could form a decent number of riders, I’d be happy to lead group 2 on the weeks I can make it out as well.

Rob

Oliver, Mark and Rob - thank you all for responding and offering to help!

@Oliver_Smith , as we discussed on a recent ride leading Group 3 is about helping the group talk to each other to improve our “Art of the Ride”! With Group 3 we try not to drop anyone and sometimes you do need to speak up to keep the group together or make sure it regroups. I really appreciate you volunteering to help me with Group 3.

@MarkW , thanks for offering to help with either Group 2 or 3 when you can.

@Rob_Wilson , thank for offering to help with Group 2. We’ve had really good Group 2’s on Thursday and Saturday the last couple of weeks…it will be great to have you helping.

The new Cultures are now published:

If anyone else can help it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

3 Likes

No problem. I’ll be there tonight and Saturday.

Rob

Jason, those are excellent write-ups of the ride cultures and make it very clear what riders should expect on rides. Awesome job!

1 Like

Thanks Mark! It was a group effort with lots of help from Blake Ellis, Chris Pippy, Brian Legge, Oliver Smith, Carla Wilson, Andrew Meyer!

I’m glad the new approach helps makes it clear “what to expect” and “what is expected of you”!

Hey Jason. I’m happy to be a backup for other rides when I’m around.