Classic bike ride

Wow…that is gorgeous!
Is that what you rode last year??

Yup. June 19, Father’s day.
A bit emotional for me this year…my dad passed away last September.

When should we officially post the ride?

4 Likes

If anyone over 5’10 wants to borrow an old bike for the ride i may have an extra one for you

2 Likes

@TommyB Me too.

My Dad passed away last month. Lung cancer got him.

I will be carrying a small reminder of him on the ride.

He bought me my first 10-speed in 1982 (40 years ago). I will be riding that bike.

A.

10 Likes

I love this thread not only for the classic bikes but the comments around your Dads. :slight_smile:

Mine passed 12 years ago and I think of him every day.

3 Likes

@ChrisP You should come out for the ride…if you don’t have a classic bike you could borrow Mike’s (above)? (Assuming with your recent 58cm Emonda sale you’re over 5’10").

I like this becoming an annual Father’s day ride now that it means a bit more to some/all of us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

June 19th. Father’s day. Not October :thinking:

1 Like

Yup…Hmm where was my mind?!

Vintage accessories
To look the part for this Classic ride I have a 80’s Condor bike, 80’s jersey, pre 80s body but my fancy smancy helmet is too 2020s. I am looking to borrow a 80s/90s vintage helmet for the day. Does anybody have one to lend? Medium SVP.
Thanks
Brian Legge

Hi Brian, i have a 90s helmet. I dont believe it’s very high end altough it is aero. i can bring it with me to the ride and you can decide if it works for your fashion ambitions

1 Like

I have a black 100mm stem that I’d like to switch for a 120-130mm shiny silver one. Anyone have something like that and would like to sell it? Or trade?

My current Specialized Evade II will be temporarily replaced by my Specialized Sub 6…circa 1990.

2 Likes

Hello Michael, That’s great please bring it along. Thanks

If anyone is riding flat pedals with toestraps, I have a pair of old leather Dettos from the late '70s. There is no size listed on these shoes, but I currently take a size 44 and can’t fit my feet into these shoes, so I’m guessing they are size 41 or 42? Feel free to message me to borrow.

2 Likes

Hi Bob,

I have flat (not really) pedals and toe clips on my 1984 Team Fuji. The pedals have that raised metal across the pedal and I notice your shoes have that plate that fits that pedal configuration. I fit a size 43 shoe and might be able to slip into size 42, but not likely size 41. I could give them a try. How can we catch up? Peter R

Hi Peter,

Do you do the Thursday rides at RIM, or the Saturday fondo rides? I can bring the shoes then if you like. If not, happy to leave them on my porch for a porch pickup sometime before the vintage ride…west side of Waterloo near the Canadian Tire.

Feel free to email: bdoberst (at) uwaterloo.ca

Brent

1 Like

Hey Brent
I’d like to try those shoes but they would likely get rained on.

Here is my classic Alfa Romeo jersey. Ready for any classic weather

Brian

3 Likes

Hi Brian,

They did not fit Peter, so you’re welcome to try them on. Getting rain on leather shoes just makes them fit better :wink:

Hi Brent !

I have a leather protector to apply on your vintage shoes prior to use.
Let me know if you need it.
Sammy,

1 Like

Popping this thread to the top so we share our stories and pics from today in this thread.

I’ll start by saying today exceeded any of my dreams of what today would be like.
A great group.
Great weather.
Great conversations and laughter.
And the post ride charcuterie from @bdoberst has set a new standard in post ride tailgating!

Here are a couple pics…I know the others took better pictures.

Thanks to all that attended. You’ve made my Father’s day so much better.

5 Likes

Annual Classic Bike Ride on Father’s Day , 2022.

Nice looking

Resting at a stop

Lights at Crowsfoot.

4 Likes