Bikes and Blues Festival, September 9, 2023, Belwood

Hey all!

There’s a new event coming this September! The Bikes and Blues Festival in Belwood, September 9, 2023. Tickets are only about $30, but I have a deal for you! You can use the code WCC2023 to get 20% off. The ride itself is free, but the registration fee is for the live music. Here’s the registration link:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bikes-blues-festival-grand-river-bike-rides-live-music-celebration-tickets-670950339527?aff=oddtdtcreator

It’s a one-day music festival to celebrate water, cycling and community in the Upper Grand River.

The rides range in distance from 15 to 90 km and will be all-surface rides, including gravel, rail trail and pavement. It’s NOT a race; the pace will be casual. Here’s a link to the ride descriptions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13aDC_BM5Hc5_u15xJsVu16KV2fQS2kZDjCRAk4LsB0s/edit

The organizer is Dustin Garrick, who is a professor in Environmental Studies at the University of Waterloo. I’ve connected with Dustin from our shared passions of water and cycling! Earlier this week, Dustin and I along with long-time WCC’er Glen Johannesson rode a loop around Luther Marsh (part of the 90 km route) and Glen took some drone footage. I’ll post a video when it’s all edited, but here’s a sneak preview photo (Photo by Glen J.):

I’ve signed up and I’m hoping for a good turnout from WCC, so please spread the word! If you have any questions, please message me privately, or in this thread!

Steve Shikaze

7 Likes

Dustin’s Water Cycles Expeditions is a neat idea. Glad he’s doing something locally.

Sept 9 is a Saturday, so maybe the gravel leaders can work this into their ride plans @KevRidesGravel, @VikramSubramanian, @JimDaley, @PattiDennison.

Less than a month to go!

As added incentive, I have some FREE tickets to give away! First 4 people to private message me will get a ticket!

Steve Shikaze

1 Like

Hey all, I’ve heard from a few who plan to attend this ride in 9 days! It promises to be a fantastic event!

The ride itself is FREE (different distances up to 90 km). Tickets are on sale for $20 for the Music Festival afterwards!

Who’s going? We can talk car pooling if there are enough.

Steve

p.s. I’m doing 50 km. I had surgery in late July and I’m way out of shape. It’s non-drop, non-competitive (rec gravellers come on out!)

2 Likes

I am registered for the 90km ride. Hope to see you there.

2 Likes

Me too! I’ll see you there Jim :blush:

1 Like

Registered for the 90km

1 Like

See you there Valentina, Doug, Jim! Probably after the rides, in Belwood!

Steve

1 Like

Hi!
I just registered for the 50km ride. (Also surgery)
Little last minute… I’m wondering if there’s carpool space for me from Waterloo(~Laurier) to Bellwood? @SteveSh
I only need the one-way there as my spouse will join us for the blues after the ride.
Also, I’m wondering if there’s a ride with gps route I can upload to my devices?
See y’all tomorrow! Cheers!
Janette

Hi @jnet ! I can pick you up at 10am! I’m one of the leaders for the 50 km and I need to be there for 11am. Where can we meet?

Here’s a route you can download! https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44356647

1 Like

Awesome!!!
I’m literally at Moses Springer community center if you want to meet in the parking lot. I will pm you both addresses.

@JimDaley @valentinacastilloc @Ddawdy - do either of you have the the 90km route link for ride with gps?

1 Like

Hi Natalie

Here it is!

1 Like

I have it on my Garmin. On route to the start so not sure how to share it with you.

Great day for a solid ride!
It was good route with a tinge of :hot_pepper: and a side of cat 2.5 gravel 🫨.
Because I was with the smaller group we were lucky to be able to traverse the road closures.
Maybe should’ve gone counter clockwise though… tomorrow is going to ache.

Not sure where to share these photos:

2 Likes

Here are some scenic ones:
(And the obligatory buttertarts! :pie:)

1 Like

Great photos Janette! And great to meet you. Thanks for riding with the faster folks. I stuck near the back of the 45 km group and had some slower but strong-minded riders who had smiles the whole ride!

Steve

2 Likes