A green wave at the Milton Velodrome

There’s a small but dedicated group of ‘trackies’ who ride at the Milton velodrome all winter (with occasional forays out to Forest City velodrome). This past Saturday morning, at 6:30am no less, seven WCC members showed up to ride a drop in session. I think we made up a third of all riders! The session coordinator, Michael, was kind enough to get some photos and video of the WCC green wave in action: Mattamy National Cycling Centre - Track Cycling | Facebook

If anyone in the club is interested in getting certified to ride at Milton or FCV, details are here:
Milton: “Adult track certification A & B”: Track Certification - National Cycling Institute Milton
FCV: https://www.forestcityvelodrome.ca/track-certification/

NOTE: if you first get certified at FCV, Milton will generally waive Cert A and just get you to do Cert B. If you first get certified at Milton, FCV may just ask you to do some solo laps under the watchful eye of a session coordinator before giving you the green light to join a paceline. FCV is a challenging track to ride, but as the saying goes, “if you can ride FCV, you can ride anywhere”.

4 Likes

For those of you without Facebook.

3 Likes

If you haven’t ridden the track before, it’s a lot of fun and a great way to add some variety to the typical winter trainer/occasional outdoor ride season. The certification process isn’t too difficult (especially if you’ve ridden a fixie before!) and helps keep the sessions safe and fun. Rental bikes are available, but if you keep an eye out, a basic track bike can be found used for a reasonable cost – a benefit of the bike’s simplicity!

3 Likes

If you guys have a car pool for trips out of Waterloo, I’d love to join you.

I would also be very interested in joining this. Pleas let me know if there is a car pool. Also interested in the track certification if we could get people together for that.