Reduce speed limit signs in the middle of the road?

I have been noticing that a lot of the yellow signs anchored to the middle of the road are popping up everywhere in the region. They are being placed right where the limit reduces.
Because they are placed in the middle of the road, a driver has no choice but to stay fully in the right lane regardless of whether they are overtaking a cyclist at the same time. I feel this is a recipe for disaster and will have exactly the opposite intention of keeping a safe environment for all.
Am I missing something?

The ones on Erbsville just before Conservation seem particularly poorly thought out. There are two – one in the middle of the road and one on the shoulder, narrowing the cycling lane and pushing us towards the edge of the pavement. Not the end of the world, but it feels like the folks who think this stuff up don’t ride :slight_smile:

Case in point 1; Zeller Drive in front of a public school. Unusual situation where they include the additional barrier on the right side to presumably give drivers an outside boundary so they don’t hit cyclists. They start out with the right intention. As you can see in the second photo, it was originally anchored to the road directly on the white line. However, someone decided the cars need more room and it was moved 6 inches into the bike lane.

Case in point 2; On Otterbein Rd. There is simply not enough room here for a cyclist and a car to pass through safely at the same time between the speed marker and the curb.

2 Likes