CycleWR Survey on Perceived Cycling Risk

CycleWR aims to serve all people on bicycle, including those who would like to try it but fear for their safety. So, certainly a broader audience than WCC. However we do want to represent all views so we would appreciate if you would complete this survey. Read on.

CycleWR is keenly interested to learn more about how people in our community view cycling infrastructure. We have created a survey that delves into how people perceive the many infrastructure options that we find in Waterloo Region.

We know that there is a lot of diversity in the comfort levels that people experience while cycling. We want to know: Will you only ride on trails and physically separated facilities? Which street designs do you find safest? How do you feel about one-way versus two-way cycle tracks? Which cycling facilities do you prefer to see when you are driving a car? We ask all these questions and more.

This survey will inform our advocacy and the results will be shared both publicly and with municipal staff who are designing new facilities. The survey is quite detailed, so you’ll want to set aside 10-15 minutes to complete it. Please share it widely – we want to reach many people with varying levels of experience, from non-cyclists and beginners, to daily riders.

Start the survey now

Please respond by March 21st.

Thank you!

CycleWR

5 Likes

Thanks for your advocacy, David! As suggested, I completed the form for both myself and for my family rides. Very different perspectives!

One thing grabbed my interest: there’s a question about comfort levels on a busy road with sharrows, with “busy” defined as a road like Fischer-Hallman/Weber/Pinebush. At first this seemed unrealistic or futile, but then I pictured my commute on Westmount with the right lane each way painted with sharrows. Would this cause drivers to give me more space? Would they be more inclined to change lanes when passing? Slow down? Would they, gasp, wait a second until there’s room to pass before trying to squeeze between a cyclist and a car in the other lane? I’d be curious to find out and suspect it might. Westmount, Weber, Victoria west of the expressway, busy four-lane residence-lined roads without room for cycling infrastructure, could be interesting places to experiment with this.

Are there any municipalities that have tried this?

Thanks again, David!

Hi Mark. Thanks for the recognition—it’s my passion.

The survey, of course, is about perceptions and preferences.

The data on sharrows actually suggests that they do more harm then good. Here is an article on the Chicago study with that finding: Study: Sharrows Don’t Make Streets Safer for Cycling – Streetsblog USA

David

2 Likes

Thanks David, your advocacy is much appreciated.

I agree with the view that sharrows do far more harm then good. Even if they work with 99% of drivers it is the impact of the 1% that matters most.

As for the survey. I see why perceptions are important, without many feeling safe we won’t achieve critical mass. But surveys like this make me nervous, as it is hard data that is required to demonstrate what works and doesn’t.

Things are definitely improving in the region, in part due to the advocacy of groups like Cycle WR. Sadly we need to keep pushing back on poor choices by engineers who refuse to recognise or push back on poor practices. The one that still irks me is the is the 401 underpass on the mill run trail, we have allowed the city to claim they improved the trail by painting white lines. The city is trying to make this seem like an improvement instead of a failure by not ensuring the MTO met is plans and signing off on an infrastructure project that worsened the situation after the 401 widening. It is a small example of a wider problem like MUP’s without legal crossings or the celebrated “Dutch Inspired” roundabout that has no legal place in Ontario.

I hope this doesn’t come across too harsh, because the work that you and the rest of Cycle WR is carrying out has made significant difference over the last few years. The places I can get to now safely compared to 10 years ago is pretty remarkable.