Classic bike ride

I’m in if there is room!

Everybody’s vintage bikes are so nice! Mine fit a little more in the ‘well loved’ category.

My first road bike: a Miele Condor, circa about 1987-ish? This was my only bike for about twenty years, so I ambled around Burlington and it was my main form of (non-winter) transportation once I moved to Toronto. The frame cracked on the way home from work one day, but I found a place in Toronto to braze in new seat stays and kept riding it (hence the oddball black rear third). It was built using Ishiwata 022 tubing and it’s still a very nice bike to ride (at least, it is to me!). Nothing special from a groupset point of view – mostly cheap durable parts that were all replaced at some point over the last three decades. Today, it is mainly is my Swift/Sufferfest bike.

The second bike is my road fixie, built from a department store Raleigh frame I pulled out of the garbage after brunch on Queen St W in Toronto. Had Urbane Cyclist build me up a cheap wheelset and it became my main commuter for years in Toronto. Recently did a home repaint (as it was really chipped and tired) and cleaned it up. Also a fun ride:

Lots of sentimental value in both bikes!

2 Likes

Definitely

And my B-Day too :slightly_smiling_face: Count me!

2 Likes

Another source of some Vintage bike dreams…I’ve been following this German shop online for a few years.
While they offer free worldwide shipping…make sure you multiply the Euro pricing by 1.5x for CAD value.

https://steel-vintage.com/bicycles

1 Like

Okay, I didn’t want to have to do it, but here’s my 74 colnago super…pre restoration

4 Likes

Okay, got my bike! Cleaned up pretty nicely. There is some surface rust in the paint work which depending how much I ride it might end up getting sanded down and repainted. Suntour Cyclone with Ishiwata 022 tubing.

Cleaned it up today and took it for a test ride. Pretty fun! Muscle memory came back pretty quick on the downtube shifters and works well. Forgot how big the front rings are and how small the cassette is. I ended up in the small big a lot!

Now need to replace the saddle, at least one of the tires (some cracking) and the hood covers. Anyone know where I can source some hood covers locally?

1 Like

Nice score. She’s a beaut! That colour is awesome.
Is that a concor or rolls saddle? I would be happy to take it off your hands.
As for hoods, lots of options online. Ebay mostly but some really decent vintage bike parts dealers.

Not sure on the saddle. Has faded Italia on the back so maybe a selle italia? TBH, the pictures don’t do the saddle justice. I think it was black and has faded to brown. The rails look to be aluminum and are fairly corroded. It doesn’t suit me anyway (I need a flat saddle rather than a rounded one) so once I source a replacement you are welcome to it.

Cool. It may be a selle italia turbo. Interested.
For a modern comfortable saddle I really like the look of a brooks cambium on a vintage bike. Nice details down to the rivets.

1 Like

I tried a regular c17 previous but the same didn’t agree with me. Pity since it is beautifully made. I might try the Carver version with the cutout. I recall it was a more rounded shape. Is there anything vintage style but flat?

The selle italia flite ushered in the new style saddles but it a real classic in its own right from the early 90s. They still make them today so you can get modern materials, construction and proportions.

1 Like

Nice, great pick up! Love the looks

Here’s my contribution to this forum. Fiori Napoli bought new in 1991. I changed out the down tube shifters for a 7 speed Shimano brake/shifter combination. The original tires were 18 mm. Lot’s of pinch flats back in the day so running 25s now. Clipless pedals had been invented in 91 so toe straps were not part of the package. If I can find the old down tube shifter levers and brake levers I am going to convert it back to original state. It had been years since I have had it on the road but have taken it out twice this year. I had forgotten how smooth the ride is. The 42 x 23 “climbing gear” is a bit if a grind on the steeper pitches though. Planning to join the ride. I would post a picture but having trouble doing it from my phone.

7 Likes

Nice bike Jim !
Well kept and maintained after all those long years…
I look forward to seeing it and ride along the vintage bike fascinated folks.
I hope the weather will be nice.
I don’t have any retro outfits in my closet.
Well…
I will try something out for the ride.

I have a few pictures to post in this thread.

2 Likes

Wow! We’re going to have a real shine and show beauty contest!

1 Like

3 Likes

Okay, newish tape, cables, tires and saddle (not period accurate but retro looking and seems to agree with the behind which is all important). Amazing what I found in my parts cupboard and some quick kijijiing. Only thing missing is hood covers but they are on order from France (ebay wins again). If they disintegrate during the ride that could be memorable!

@DrewMolnar you are welcome to the old saddle. Feel free to ping me a DM if you want to swing by and grab it or I can bring it on the 20th

6 Likes

1 week away!

I was cleaning up the closet and was thinking…if I’m riding my bike from 1990, I should wear a jersey from 1990!

I’ll save the long sleeved PDM for the potential autumn classic bike ride. And the wool Belgian national jersey probably won’t work in June either. So the non-breathable polyester Continental might make the appearance. :joy:

7 Likes

Note…this is not an official WCC ride.
There will not be a “ride leader”.
It is asked, for the safety and comfort of all involved, that you maintain the recommended spacing…all the better to admire the sweet bikes!

This is not a training ride. :wink: (But you can still Strava it… obviously. Just don’t expect any new PRs)

I will be warming up my steel bike in the parking lot northest of the RIM arena building at around 9am Sunday morning before getting on the route.

The route we can follow is:

The thinking is to ride for about 30km…stop at Maryhill market for Buttertarts and bike admiration. :grinning: (Remember to bring your mask!)

15km back to RIM park.
Home in time for Father’s Day lunch!

The intent is to ride your vintage bike, at a vintage pace, and re-live some great vintage memories. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes