Classic bike ride

Hmmm. Which bike to get spruced up for this ride? I picked up a few projects over the past year

1. An 87 Rossi SLX custom with a beautiful smoke cromovelato finish. Full first generation campy chorus including pedals and seat post. Absolutely mint. I had a Rossi of this vintage back in the day from Gary scattolon in Hamilton. I think this one is a custom one off built by a master shop in Italy for him. Just needs new tires right now.
  2. An 83 Merckx professional frame that may well have been touched by eddy himself. Building that up with used but more modern dura ace 7800 that I used to ride across Canada. Some nice neo-retro finishing bits too.
  3. ‘74 colnago super in great original paint condition. I have collected the parts I need from all over the world to take it back to full nuovo record spec including hubs seat post and pedals. Honestly not sure if this one will ever be ridden much.
    To much to do and so little time!
    First world problems
2 Likes

I would love to see #1. (My pick…)

1 Like

New bar tape and decals ready to go on too.

![IMG_1645|666x500](upload://8N WG4iZ3fDCl6mB591xDgEAySUh.jpeg)

4 Likes

Gorgeous!
Same vintage campy chorus as my bike!

Make sure you answer the poll above on when to have this ride!

Also…name suggestions!!

1 Like

I am now in search of something suitable but not having huge amounts of luck. If anyone sees anything on the usual sites in a 58 to 61 cm please point it my way. I’m looking in the hundreds rather than the thousands ( or my wife will kill me).

I do have an older steel singlespeed I could ride but not fancy or really vintage but might work at a push!

I don’t know if mine counts as technically it is not steel. But 1991 is vintage is it not? :slight_smile:

@Davidwp your bike definitely is suitable! Lugged carbon tubes!! :heart_eyes:

@Oliver_Smith have you seen this account? Southwestern Ontario based and he fixed up and sells some sweet classic bikes.

https://instagram.com/swobikes

2 Likes

@TommyB man there are some awesome bikes. I don’t see any prices. I assume if you have to ask then you can’t afford it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’d do either a sunday or weekday evening.

I picked up all of mine on Kijiji last year but as the covid feeding frenzy has intensified they are becoming more and more scarce… and expensive. Be diligent in looking every day and the gems will come your way.

Given “Stage 1” which allows for 10 people exercising outdoors is expected to become live on June 14…and the fact that we probably need a bit of time to get the old bikes tuned up…how about we aim for Sunday, June 20 at 9am. RIM Park.

Tentative and to be confirmed as we get closer to that date.

New name suggestion: “WCC Lugs Ride” ? :grinning:

We’ll do this route with a stop at Maryhill Market for coffee, buttertarts, and bike admiration.
(See later post for link)

2 Likes

Good. That seems to give me some time to source something. I have a feeling it will be functional rather than admirable!

@DrewMolnar I’ll keep my eyes peeled. COVID tax is definitely in play ( I can’t complain I have sold a couple of bikes during the period for good money). It seems there is a lot of lower end at reasonable prices (but not something you want to collect) or higher end with “I know what I got” prices. Just need to be lucky! I just missed an okay Peugeot yesterday so I’m feeling more confident.

“In”.

And it’s “Father’s Day” to boot. My father bought me the bike I will be riding (39 years ago).

Thanks for organizing Tommy!

A.

2 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize it was Father’s Day.
I hope that doesn’t cause any issues? I think my family would love that i’m going on a classic bike ride with other Dads that morning!

2 Likes

Hi Tommy,

Please, put my name in your list for vintage bike 50km bike ride.

Thanks,
Sammy,

1 Like

If Sammy’s in I’m in! We talked about doing this a long time ago.
Thanks for taking the lead Tommy. It’s turning into a real “classic “.

Now to get the old glue off the rims and get the new tubulars on.

3 Likes

Ah I sold my 1984 bianchi last summer to a guy in Burlington who cleaned it all up and resold it. It was a $300 bike in 1984 and hopefully someone is getting use out of it. I had too many horses in the stable and that bike hadn’t put rubber to road in a couple of decades.

2 Likes

Hmmm…the “Annual WCC Father’s Day Classic Lugs Ride” ? :thinking:

3 Likes

No official list, Sammy…just show up June 20! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Drew !

I am just getting ready for this unforgettable WCC Vintage Bike Ride.
Thank you “Tommy” for organizing this event and I hope this tradition will continue for years to come.
I will mark the date on my calender, June 20th, 2021 at 9am at RIM (Father’s Day Vintage Bike Ride).

Cheers,
Sammy,