Catagories -- Ride, Race, Lead -- Do we need more?

Hi,

For reference, in the Google Groups we had a lead group, but I retired it because it wasn’t used much and there was a lot of misuse related to it. Many “Lead” discussions fit equally well in other categories and that is where they have traditionally been posted. We have a private member lounge for topics that really don’t fit elsewhere. If anything, I would think there should be a public lounge rather than a Lead category.

If there is a reasonable likelihood that some public categories will be provided, that should be considered now. Categories that we tell people are private should remain private. If we plan to makes some categories public, that should be clear to members right from the start. That is why I’m suggesting a public lounge above.

On the topic of rides. The suggestion that Tom made is our current recommendation. Pre-ride planning in Ride group, post ride write-up and photos in General Public. Some ride leaders such as Ana-Maria did a very good job of this. That also gives members the choice as it relates to the scope of the information they share like the discussion on photos. Some may want to share photos with club only. Others are happy to share them with the world. That proposal allows for both.

I like that we don’t have too many categories to start with. The more categories, the more miscategorized posts that need to be moved. We can add more later if needed.

Cheers,
Bill

2 Likes

Another that came to my mind originally was to try to bring the KWCX people in, hoping it would replace their current mailing list.

I am open to either of those options. what say you @MarkW ?

KWCX would fall under CX right?

Maybe for Lead we could have a description that outlines it’s for cycling advocacy/WCC community service?

Last year I was involved with implementing MS Teams at work and we went through a very similar discussion about which channels we needed to create to cover the various projects, products, and topics of discussion.
We went too far down the path of trying to create a channel for too many sub topics…and a year later many of them are empty. And some people didn’t post as they really weren’t sure which channel to go to.

Like others above, from my experience at work, I recommend keeping things simple to start and see how things go. After a couple months…if there appears to be a lot of conversation around a specific sub-topic…make a channel if it makes sense.

2 Likes

Steven, one of the great things about the KWCX google group is that it’s outside the club and includes other friends in the Ontario cycling community. I’m happy with it as it is and the members seem to be too. Don’t worry though, it won’t stop us from posting endlessly about tire pressures etc on the club forums.

On the subject of the “Ride, Race, Lead” structure I like it as Tom described. Keep it simple. The General Public is enough to allow the public to ask questions. I don’t think we need a Tech forum. In the past tech questions just get posted in the category of Ride (CX, MTB etc.) that they belong in.

As mentioned already, it’s important to think of Ride as everything to do with riding a bike in one of the various disciplines.

I’m wondering if we keep the Tech chat in the sub forums e.g. CX and Gravel if we risk segregating items that might live better in a single Tech forum? For example, there are a lot for similarities in tech between road, CX and gravel e.g. bottom brackets are pretty much the same. I’m thinking the Tech forum would be more static information or how-to questions as opposed to a more dynamic conversation in Ride. Tech might have more pinned articles e.g. repairs (likely lined to external sites). Maybe even links on where to get parts (sponsors obviously, but maybe other places too given how hard it is to get parts these days)?

I dissagree @Oliver_Smith. When I’m in cross or road season, I’ll be focused on those category of discussions. CX get’s very techy come race season and I’d expect to see the 100s of posts on tyres and tyre pressure listed under the cx category. I wouldn’t want to go to some generic tech category and try to figure out which tech post was relevant to me at that moment of the season. I can identify the tech that’s relevant to me by the sub category of ride that it is in and find the info I need more quickly.

If you go onto other cycling forums like Pinkbike for example, they have categories by cycling discipline and that’s where you’ll find the majority of the tech discussions. They also have manufacturer categories, but we won’t be going that route.

1 Like

I think we have the Ride, Race, Lead system and we should give it a try.

At first I wanted to add a separate Tech sub-category, but now I think adding more Top Level ones is not good. We have seen discussion on this and for now we will stick with the Top Categories we have, but we will be inviting more people and this forum is in a fluid testing state right now so that could change.

Before we make major changes though I want to get more WCC Members involved and actually get them to start using the UI as it is.

I do want to add more sub-categories under Race and Lead. Ride is probably good the way it is though.

A note to everyone on Categories. I have made some changes and added sub-categories to Race and Lead. Always remember if your topic does not fit in a Sub-category you can just post in Race or Lead ( we don’t need sub-categories for everything ).

This is still a trial and this could be modified.

Eventually once we go live we will be moving the Site Feedback/Help Me category lower down the list.

1 Like