Thoughts on Cervelo Aspero for our terrain?

@Francqlife every time I see that picture it makes me laugh, your face is so composed for being about to eat it!

Yeah. I do over use it a bit. Just to remind myself not to take things too seriously. Itā€™s just a bike race.

Perhaps, Iā€™ll need to find a new ā€œembarrassmentā€ shot. I wonder if I can find that picture of @tabi face-planting in the CX race?

Here are the rarely seen ā€œbeforeā€ and ā€œafterā€ shots of that fall above (Baseball Cross 2017)

I would like to point out that I made it through on the prior lap!

Then there is how you are supposed to do it @MarkW

All these pictures from Lauren D. bring back great memories.

4 Likes

I guess this is my equivalent shot of ā€œeating itā€. Also 'cross, also 2017, but it was Dam Cross. Might have even been provincials that year?

Though I guess without the facial expression itā€™s not quite as good.

Speaking of rain, at least itā€™s going to be relatively warm Sunday. Who remembers almost dying of Hypothermia in +2 C and rain at the last Steaming Nostril, 2019?

Iā€™m smiling for the camera, but 20 minutes later I was in the gun club after finishing, shivering uncontrollably and an EMT had to take my gloves and boots off for me.

6 Likes

My sole contribution to this thread, think this was post Nostril 2017 or 2018.

8 Likes

I have never done the streaming nostril and it certainly looks like type 2 verging on type 3 fun!

I was trying to find photos of me ā€œeating itā€ but failed, so hereā€™s a couple of Kevin about to go down at Baseball Cross a few years ago.

No sharp turns in the mud kids, green is grip.

4 Likes

Love how this thread has devolved from potential new bike day to hereā€™s everybody crashing during CX/suffering on a gravel bike. Hereā€™s mine also from baseball cross. Every other lap I nailed the sand but of course when the camera was rolling I Endo and end up looking like I lost a contact lens.

5 Likes

So new to me new bike day. Now just need to set it up ( look at that saddle!). Not sure I have time to set it up tubeless.

Folk with the aspero, how easy is the top tube bag to get off or am I allowed to race with it on?

7 Likes

Iā€™d leave the tires as is unless youā€™re experienced with tubeless tires. It can take a day and some riding sometimes to make sure theyā€™re good although the tires and rims seem to be just getting better and easier.

You donā€™t want to be rushed today and possibly have problems tomorrow. Just my 2 cents.

Congratulations :confetti_ball: :clap: :bouquet: :partying_face:

1 Like

Yes that is what Iā€™m thinking @MarkW Iā€™m pretty good and getting tubeless setup but you never know if there will be problems. Iā€™m going to leave that till I have more time!

1 Like

The Aspero is a brilliant bike. A tire swap and itā€™s a great road bike as well. (I have a 56cm Ultegra model with Easton cranks that has worked flawlessly) I used to swap Zipp 303ā€™s on it with 28mm GP5Ks as a road setup.

As others mentioned the Aspero doesnā€™t have fender mounts or additional bottle mounts and youā€™re maxed at a 50T large chain ring (if you want to use it as a dual purpose bike)

Another option is the Caledonia with a 32-33mm tire on it. Itā€™s an endurance road bike with great tire clearance, provisions for fenders and an aero frameset. Itā€™s a perfect do it all bike though 32-33mm might be a bit small for some. (I find it fine though)

Lorie own the Caledonia (105 version) for gravel riding and absolutely loves it. Itā€™s a perfect dual purpose bike for the types of gravel we ride here and comes with 52/36 chainrings for road riding.

Cheers
Chris

1 Like

Thanks @ChrisP ! I might stick some slicks on it and see how it rides. Definately doesnā€™t feel as sprightly as my 3T but then the aspero has stock wheels and heavy gravel tires so not really fair.

I was going to keep it as 2x as a possible backup road bike but now considering going 1x, if I decide to keep it ( more below!)

I think for people who donā€™t have space for multiple bikes it might be the perfect one bike solution but I do have space.

I love my 3T and the Aspero wonā€™t replace that as my road bike. It is stiffer and more fun than my old alloy Giant Revolt (which is still a fun but compliant bike). The plan was to ride more gravel but in reality Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m going to have time and the Revolt is enough bike for what I do. The Revolt also has fender mounts etc too so more practical. The Aspero was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase since it got it for a good price.

I might just have to ride both the Aspero and Revolt back to back to see what I think. Maybe Iā€™ll list both for sale and see which sells first? Not sure I need both of them :disappointed:

1 Like

Oliver, in the event that you decide the sell the Aspero, what size is it?

1 Like

It is a 58. If that is your size Iā€™ll keep you posted as to if I decide to sell.

1 Like

Thanks Oliver. My R3 is a 58 so that would be a match. Keep me in the loop.

2 Likes

Big fan of the Aspero here! Iā€™ve had mine since 2020 and have put 3,500km on it thus far. I ride it hard and the bike performs extremely well. I had the Caledonia prior to the Aspero and found it faster on long gravel sections but thatā€™s it; the Aspero has it beat on up/down and shorter gravel sections, trail, and handling. And most importantly, you have a lot more tire choice on the Aspero and clearance for those muddy p2a days. The Aspero feels especially great descending down the hills on the gravel routes in and around our area.

4 Likes

So after all the doubt, Iā€™m keeping the Aspero. Sorry @JimDaley ! Did some back to back riding yesterday and the Aspero is significantly better to ride than the old Revolt even in stock form ( and the Revolt is heavily upgraded!). Let the Aspero upgrading commence!

5 Likes

No problem Oliver_Smith. Saves me trying to explain to my wife why I need a 3rd gravel bike.

1 Like