Summer Epic 8 Hour?

Anyone doing the Summer 8 Hour epic? I’m registered for Monday, July 12, solo! Going to get my 100km pin this year and definitely not going to shear off my derailleur on the pre-ride this time!!

3 Likes

I had a lot of fun doing it on the gravel bike last year, might do it again this time! @CANGERMANN time to reform XC on CX?

@mrafuse I’d like to do it again but I’ve got an XC race bike now so maybe I should put that to good use. It would be cool to actually organize some more teams to do it on the same day this year. anybody else in for the Saturday or Sunday before it fills up?

1 Like

I’d be interested in working with a team for this! This would be my first but would be a fun event to aim for with others. Ladies who’s up for giving it a go??? :grin:

4 Likes

I along with someone I live with who prefers to remain anonymous at this time may be interested in doing a tag team for this event. We would sign up for Saturday or Sunday.

2 Likes

I’m up for either saturday or sunday, pending a ride.

Chris - No worries, I’m sure the XC bike will crush it!

1 Like

Saturday has 15 spots left Sunday has 90. I just signed up for Sunday the 11th so there is plenty of room for anyone else so we can hopefully have a big WCC/Faction showing.

Going to try it solo this year even though last year was a lot of fun as a team. Planning out fluid/nutrition stops should be interesting.

3 Likes

I just reg’d for Sunday the 11th, solo. Saturday has 1 space left, Sunday has ~80.

5 Likes

Would anyone be able to give me a drive for the Sunday? If so, I’ll probably register for then as well.

EDIT got one! See everyone Sunday :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Just signed up Solo for Sunday as well.

1 Like

I’ve signed up for Sunday as well! I might have to start doing some longer training rides

4 Likes

Sunday people, Whats everyone’s plan with regards to timing of their start or when they plan to arrive at the event. I’m hoping to set off at 9:00 but get there maybe close to 7:30 to prepare everything and hopefully get a good parking spot.

I’ll be bringing a repair stand and small changing tent that everyone is welcome to use and will also have a fairly complete tool kit that hopefully no one will need :evergreen_tree::fist_left:.

Hopefully we can park close to one another even though I think we are all solo so we probably wont see much of each other.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to arrive early (but I’m not great at getting up early).
I’m bringing the club tent, hoping to set it up along the start/finish straight. I’ll have a small fold up table for my food and drinks.
Anyone else welcome to bring a table to have under the tent for pit stops in the day.

2 Likes

A 9 am start would be pretty good, was hoping to start together somewhat. Also aiming to get there around 7:30 ish. Have to get to bed soon haha

We just completed the epic 8 today with KWCA. In case anyone was interested:

Trails were in great shape and really well marked. Better than last year where we had a few people get lost. Trails were a bit damp but in a good way. Almost perfect IMO. Overall the course was a little less technical than usual but it was still a lot of fun. Lots of hills but spread out through the course and none too huge.

Course is just under 10km. The first half is mostly flowy singletrack but more uphills. The second half has a lot of doubletrack to return to the start and was significantly faster.
I couldn’t break 30 minutes but some of our older youth riders did.

I found it really useful to add the ‘lapping’ screen to my garmin 530 and customize it to show the current map distance and time. Really nice feature and it worked well to help pace my time (I was racing with a 3 man team).

Great day overall and they had some free beer samples and lots of red bull. I tried both options between laps with marginal effect :smile:

4 Likes

Always a fun Race :slight_smile: Lots of my Super Cool Peeps kicking ass there :slight_smile: JFCI!!!

1 Like