P2A tire choice

Sounded like the majority of the farmers field was rideable at the start. Brian P found the drier stuff too sticky and got stuck but once he found the wet portion he was good and the bike didn’t clog up. This is on cantis and file treads.

I personally never want to see that field again. I had to push the tandem and then go back and give a piggy back through the worst part as he was loosing his shoes in the mud.

8 Likes

I had Challenge Gravel Grinder 33’s but on my wide rim Zipp 303’s they look surprisingly big. They roll well and did fine “I think” in the mud. Front was about 38psi and rear 40 psi. That was an amazingly epic day. The point to point event though is starting to get tiring for post race logistics.

3 Likes

I’m with Luke. The logistics of the day are a headache, especially when it’s miserable. I suspect they’ve got two reasons:

1. tradition of course. “we’ve always done it this way so we must continue” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
  2. I betcha they make good money on VIP and all the different paid bussing options and premium stuff. :dollar:
4 Likes

I didn’t see anyone ride through that field. Agree with the logistics, and with it being an epic day.
My Terra Speed 40s ~50psi felt pretty right on!

3 Likes

5 Likes

That was probably my 10th or 12th P2A.

The 35mm GK SS’s were so fast on that first 38km “road race” section of the 108km. Was able to sit near the front of Wave 2 for the first hour. It was like a road bike.

It was a bit squiggly on the trails, but 10 x easier than any CX course in the rain.

But, the biggest advantage was that with no knobbies…there was nothing for the mud to stick too? And 35mm gave a lot of clearance. Was there mud on course???

Kidding. The 400M field of peanut butter…and the fluid muck rivers flowing down the mud chute were Ledgen…DARY !!!

But none of it stuck to these tyres.

2 Likes

I ran 35mm Terra Speeds, and other than the Peanut Mudder field, they were awesome to ride on for the whole event. Also surprised I didn’t flat - had a huge it on the front about half way in, then a hard rear hit shortly after - hooray for tubeless ! (I do have inserts in though)

3 Likes