P2A registration opens this week

P2A registration opens up on Friday December 15. I’m still debating which distance I am going to do this year.
Which distances are everyone thinking of doing?

3 Likes

I am planning to sign up for the 100 this year and not waiting until the last minute and relying on buying a plate from someone who can’t make it.

1 Like

The bigger question … install new brake pads before the event or wait until after?

1 Like

If it is like last year you might just want to buy a new bike after

2 Likes

Many, I learned that that hard way last year. If I do it again, it’ll be on fresh, metallic pads! No brakes is no fun!

Brakes are overrated.

I’ve being trying to persuade the kid that he doesn’t want to ride a tandem again as I’d like to race the 100, but I’m so far failing on that.

1 Like

After 2 times doing the Breve I am going to try the Classic this year :grimacing:

2 Likes

I just signed up for the Classic Wave 3!

I’m signed up for the Cento. I’ve never done P2A before, and after seeing the photos from 2023, I’m questioning why my brain thought that looked fun :joy:

1 Like

Last year’s weather was definitely something special. Last year was my first year.

2 Likes

I signed up for the Cento!

I’m also signed up for the Cento along with my two boys. I’m not fast enough to hang with the front pack(s) which is a good thing since some of the racers are very sketchy. Riding over the yellow line into traffic, not calling out obstacles including (unmarked) big potholes and posts, and blocking other riders.

Last year in the front pack my son Lucas hit a huge pothole without any warning and lost both of his bottles early in the race. His race was over. And later one of the KWCA juniors was in the center in the pack in the front row and was screaming to the other racers to let him swerve as the pack entered a trail with a dividing metal bollard. He ended up having to dive sideways to avoid hitting it at >40km/h, took out another rider, and ended up in the ditch with a broken hand. He’s lucky it wasn’t much worse. He was out of racing for the rest of the summer.

I’m sure all of the fast racers are aware of this already, but it has really given me pause to sign up my sons this year. I don’t think it is a real problem outside of the elite pack in the cento but I’d like to make the organizers aware that they could do more to keep the race safe.

Just adding in case it helps anyone make a decision on the cento vs classic.

2 Likes