New Cervelo CX Bike (Alain!)

I have an older Giant Revolt 1 and it does have potential for a do it all bike. Very comfortable despite being alloy and in reality not much slower than an endurance bike ( according to strava). It is a more relaxed geometry though so does subjectivity feel slower. Really great bike. Only issues I have is that mine is older so qr and post mount brakes but newer ones solve that issue!

2 Likes

Si enters the heated debate above :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great video, I wish we had a public course we could flog like that, makes me want to buy a big field out in the boonies somewhere :slight_smile:

Both bikes are amazing few additional thoughts:

• CX bike will be a fair bit lighter and more aero by itself BUT the lower BB height of the gravel bike will offset that a bit as the rider is effectively almost a centimetre closer to the ground
  • For 99% Of the gravel riding we have around here 38mm tires are more than plenty
  • Fender provisions are a big deal if you are riding in bad weather or with a group
  • A lot of people donā€™t particularly like the flared handlebars that come on gravel bikes by default so a bar change might be necessary for some
5 Likes

Iā€™m in deep thought.

If ā€œfast(er)ā€ is the goal on the relatively light ā€œChampagneā€ gravel and trails around hereā€¦thenā€¦a Domane with 38mm may be the cheese?

3 Likes

Keeping in the Cervelo family you could also look at the Caledonia. Lorie has the Shimano 105 version with 32mm GK tires and itā€™s absolutely awesome on our gravel. :slightly_smiling_face: Itā€™s also a great endurance road bike and what Jumbo uses in all the classics

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been following these guys LIVE as they bikepack across SPAIN this week.

One dude is riding a Caledonia with panniers ! He did a bike review today. Says he also has an Aspero. Prefers the Caledonia because it is more for ā€œendurance ridesā€???

What is he saving his Aspero for? MTBā€™ing?

2 Likes

If the Caledonia was out when I was bike shopping I would have went with that as an all purpose bike. I think itā€™s the best all around setup.

• Lighter than Aspero,
  • Built in fender capability
  • Better chain ring options
  • With a decent aero cockpit and a couple of wheelsets it can do pretty much everything really well
2 Likes

And the winner of this debate isā€¦

14 Likes

Looks amazing congrats!

Thatā€™s some snazzy paint. Gotta get those important details right!

Alright.

It wasā€¦Amazing.

Proof is in the pudding. I had half a dozen PRā€™s on STRAVA tonight and they were 1 min to 1.5 mins faster?

So much POWER when you put it down. Direct transfer with that huge carbon bottom bracket is shocking ! Press and go instantly.

The 38-40mm tubeless might as well be MTB tires. So smooth and I couldnā€™t feel a thing tonight. Like I was riding on glass all evening.

Finally. Itā€™s shifts ! Not being able to shift or brake easily for the past half decade has been a revelation tonight. And the beauty and genius of the GRX 2 X is epically clear. So easy to drop from a 46 to 30 and spin up those 15 degree hills without much change in cadence.

It is astonishing to see and feel the difference that 14 years of technology development has in the bike industry.

I will still ride the KONA is the crap and salt of our weekly winter rides with fenders.

But, the Cervelo Aspero is an absolute game changer. Itā€™s taken 10 years off my riding age.

N+1

A.

10 Likes

Beautiful bike, love that colour! Congrats!

Beautiful bike. Very nice!

I wish I had seen this debate/been a member back in December when I was building my bike!

For me it was between the Aspero/3T/Factor LS.

In the end I opted for the Factor as it seemed like it would get to me the quickest and I really liked Factor as a brand/race geometry. It looked like it would come in December, then Feb then March. Now looks like end of May!

Hey Alain, can I borrow it? For the summer?

1 Like

Sure !

Can I borrow your legs for the summer?

A.

U donā€™t want them - old and damaged!

Beautiful colour on an amazing bike! I got the same bike but in Maroon.

2 Likes