"Big Rubber" Adventuring

This “Big Rubber” thread seems to be getting some hits. So let’s keep it going.

I (we) originally planned to do the GNR on the May 24. But with the Lockdown being potentially extended another 2 weeks, the first bike-packing trip may have to wait until June.

In the meanwhile, I thought I’d share one of my most coveted, curated and crafted lists. It is my Bike Packing Set Up for 2021.

It is over-thought, over-wrought, and overly-indulgent.

There are 109 items on this list. Probably cut it down from 200. It is version 12.0 and took approximately 5 months to collect, purchase, organize and test all this gear. Each line painstakingly considered, modified and yes…weighed.

This is for a 5-7 day ride. I would pair it down significantly (half) for an over-nighter like GnR or C300.

I kept myself busy all winter watching dozens (and dozens) of videos on bike-packing gear, read all the gear comparison websites and tips and techniques on how to back-pack and bike-pack and how to squish it all down into bags and shave precious grams off by cutting your tooth brush in half to using a trail bidet so you don’t have to carry toilet paper. I agonized over all the different components of the “sleep system” for about 5 months. I never want to watch another sleep pad comparison video in my life.

But still…the list changes every week as I learn more. So, feel free to question, criticize, scoff, roll your eyes (Tabi) or otherwise pan my choices. Because one thing is for sure…one person’s Ultra-Cush Monster 2-person tent, camp stove, drop-bar MTB set up is completely wrong for another person’s ultra-light race-winning over-night bivvy rig. Personally, I aspire to be more like Mark Weymouth on his CX bike with 33mm tires a couple of water bottles and a $40 hammock stuffed in his jersey pocket for the 350km GnR last summer.

As my Grand Mother used to say…To Each His/Her Own".

And bringing it back up to the guidance from Matt K…ride what ya got…don’t be a weight-weenie or a gear-snob. Just ride your bike.

Alain

P.S. Turns out I can’t upload the actual spreadsheet or even a .pdf…so I’ll just dump a few screen caps…you’ll get the idea and can build and share your own lists here.

3 Likes