The HydroCut

I started riding the “Powerline” from Glasgow to Petersburg in 1991. A single track under the hydro power lines. I rode it every week for years, through my University days, and with friends. I entered the first year of the Paris To Ancaster on my Rocky Mountain Equipe.

I couldn’t have imagined at the time that WCC would secure an agreement with the Region of Waterloo to build one of the greatest MTB trails systems in Canada. Brent, Ron, Igor, Andy…Clay, Steven, Raf and the other “Legends” of the Hydrocut are well documented in the recent Ribbon Of Dirt Documentary.

The WCC Trails Committee is still the organizer, builder and maintainer of the Hydrocut and is able to summon an army of volunteers on Trail Day. But, you don’t have to be a member of WCC to enjoy this incredible piece of the planet.

Riding these trails over the past 30 years, continues to be one of the greatest joys in life.

There is one other “Ray Of Light” that needs to be highlighted. Ana Maria B.'s MTB Skills and Drills. She picked up on KWCX and applied it to MTB. She created a “new thing” at WCC and has become a very skilled teacher of the art that is MTB skills so that anyone can be confident to head to the Hydrocut and improve the quality of their ride. She’s a real leader. Follow her. …If you can.

5 Likes