Hosting Ukrainians

I decided a month ago that I was going to try hosting a Ukrainian refugee family. “My” family is arriving on March 10. While waiting for my family, I’ve been doing some volunteering with the local organization that is helping to facilitate the matching of hosts and guests: https://www.wrgrassrootsresponse.ca/

I have recently learned there is a large demand for hosts. At the moment, there are 15 Ukrainian families arriving in Waterloo region during March and April that do not have anywhere to stay. On top of this demand, Ukrainians are also arriving at Toronto airport and getting emergency housing at Mississauga hotels. The hotel stay is limited to 2 weeks, at which time they get booted out. So our local organization has been driving to various Toronto hotels to rescue people with no where to go and then shuffling them from house to house as people can accommodate them for a few days here and there.

So all this is to say, if you’ve ever considered hosting a Ukrainian family*, now is a good time. Feel free to send me a message if you want to know more, or you can sign up to host on the website.

*Note: in this case, family can mean singles, couples, mothers with kids etc. And hosting, means you’ve got a spare bed, a spare bathroom (or one you can share), and some kitchen space to share.
Thanks
Jon

p.s. My incoming family includes a 9 year old boy who will be in need of a bike. I don’t know size, but if you have something to donate, LMK.

5 Likes